(makes 1 liter)
Dairy-free, soy-free and soooo rich and creamy!
An ice-cream machine is helpful here for best texture, but this can be made just in the freezer too.
Hemp hearts are enjoying popularity because they have lots of protein, a great omega fats profile and they are high in fiber. They are serious brain-food and are a great addition to salads, dressings, cereals and grains. In this case, we are pureeing them to make a hemp milk- and turning that delicious mixture into raw, dairy-free Ice Cream!
1 cup hemp hearts
3 cups water
2 cups cashews
2 Tbsp vanilla extract or the seeds of 1 vanilla pod
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup agave or maple syrup
- Soak cashews for a few hours in plenty of water. Drain and rinse.
- Combine all except coconut oil in blender and blend until smooth.
- Slowly add coconut oil in a steady stream.
- Once smooth, strain through a mesh sieve.
- Pour strained mixture into an ice cream maker ( use manufacturer’s instructions) until it starts to harden.
- Or- to use as a sauce, simply serve room temp or chilled over cakes or tarts or fresh fruit.
* If you don’t have an ice cream maker, I have had some success pouring the mixture into a frozen casserole dish and stirring it occasionally for the first few hours.
Then transfer the ice cream to a container and keep frozen.