Summer is right around the corner and what a better way to welcome the sunny weather and long evenings, than with an ice-cold glass of limeade. This isn’t your typical citrus drink as it contains the abundant summer herb, mint. Mint is refreshing, light on the palate, and has cooling properties; all of which compliment and remedy the heat of summer. The sweetness of the honey and the tart lime juice will keep this cooling treat in your beverage rotation all summer long. If you are already a fan of the classic mojito then you are going to love this simple and revitalizing drink.
¼ cup raw honey
½ cup lime juice
½ cup tightly packed mint (with stems)
4 cups cold water
Garnish: fresh sprig of mint and lime wedge
- Mash the mint and honey in a mortar and pestle until is begins to resemble a fluid paste. Pour this delicious mixture into a large glass pitcher or mason jar. Add the freshly squeezed lime juice, cold water, and mix well.
- Cover and place the mixture into the fridge for a few hours or ideally, overnight. This will allow the flavors to blend and intensify.
- Strain the liquid using a fine mesh sieve. Serve over crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of mint and a wedge of lime.
- To make a simple soda, omit 3 cups of water and follow the directions above to create a concentrate. Add a quarter cup of concentrate per 8oz. glass and top with sparkling water.
- Substitute basil and lemon juice, for the mint and lime. You will love it!
By Jenn Rapske, Holistic Nutrition Consultant at Rooted Nutrition.
Learn more about Jenn and her services here
Hi, my name is Jenn and I am the new holistic nutritional consultant at Rooted Nutrition. I’ll be offering you a little piece of my world each month through the newsletter in the form of an article, a recipe, or a recommendation. I look forward to getting to know as many of you as I can in the Rooted Nutrition community. Please send me an email if you have any questions or comments about my monthly newsletter offering or if you’d like to book a nutritional consultation.