Sunday, August 19th

 

watermelon radish

watermelon radish is hydrating and nourishes the kidneys and liver

Download/Print Recipe Here

The energetic nature of sprouts are UP and OUT! All the potential life energy of the plant, breaking through the seed’s protection. Sprouts are an enormous source of energy! The first spring foods- baby sprouts and quick-growing veggies like radishes help to kick us out of our winter slumber and prepare us for lighter times ahead! This recipe uses sprouts as well as a host of liver-helping foods. Keeping the liver in tip-top shape is very important for overall health. It accomplishes an enormous amount of work to keep us ticking!

Functions of the liver include:

  • It is the ‘holding tank’ and filtration for the blood. Nearly all toxins from our diet, ( synthetic foods, pesticides, synthetic hormones, even toxic by-products from our own intestinal bacteria!) are filtered through the liver.
  • Toxins from our environment are also processed through the liver.
  • It has a role in digestion as bile is secreted from the gallbladder into the small intestine to help emulsify fats and break down foods for absorption.
  • Nearly all nutrients must do a conversion in the liver before becoming bio-available.
  • It stores sugars for the blood to be released when needed.
  • It synthesizes proteins for growth and repair.
  • It is the only organ capable of regeneration. 75% of a liver can be removed and the remaining 25% can grow into a full liver! An organ that the body covets so much must be imperative!

Ingredients

Salad

1 bunch radish, 8 small or 3 medium sized. Use 1 or 2 watermelon radishes instead if you can find them.

2 medium beets, peeled

2 carrots

1 green apple

1 handful of sprouts (try alfalfa, broccoli, mung bean, sunflower…)

Essential Salad Dressing

 

This is enough for about 2 recipes of salad. Extra dressing should be kept in the fridge and can be used for green salads as well.

Ingredients

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/3 cup flax oil

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 clove garlic, grated or minced

pinch chili flakes, cayenne or black pepper (opt)

pinch sea salt

To make dressing:

– Put all ingredients into a mason jar.

-Put the lid on tightly and shake before using.

– Keep in the fridge.

-Make small amounts at a time and use quickly.

 

Directions

-Grate or julienne hard veg and apple, mix in sprouts, add desired amount of salad dressing, enjoy!

  • This salad keeps for at least 5 days in the fridge if you skip the sprouts and add fresh before serving.

 

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

Leave a Reply

Video and Audio Terms of Use | Terms and Conditions Of Use | Privacy Policy | | Location
Compensation Policy | DMCA Notice | External Links Policy | Cancellation Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Site Map
Design by Peak To Peak Marketing
Copyright © 2012 Rooted Nutrition Vancouver. All Rights Reserved.
Rooted Nutrition