Download and print recipe here!
Makes about 1 liter (serves 3)
2 Tbsp butter
2-3 leaves sage, dried whole or fresh
1/2 of a medium butternut squash or one smaller squash. Cut in half and seeds removed (save for roasting as a snack)
1 apple- crispin, gala, sunrise, braeburn are my favourites. Keep peel ON and cut in half, removing seeds.
1/2 medium onion, peeled
water or vegetable stock- about 3 cups
sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place halved squash on baking sheet cut-side down alsong with the halved onion and apple halves.
- Roast for about 45 min or until the squash is soft. For hard-shelled squash you need to test the fleshy side to see if it is soft.
- Meanwhile, brown the butter in a sauce pan. Once brown, (not burned!), add the sage leaves and let sizzle for a moment before adding a tsp of water to stop the cooking. Remove sage leaves and reserve for garnish. Set aside butter to add to soup in the blender.
- Take out of the oven and flip the squash to cut side up to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into the blender with the onion and apple. Add just enough water or stock to blend to desired consistency.
- Season with sea salt to taste.