Looking for a health pizza recipe that you can make ahead, re-heat in the oven or put in kid’s lunches? Check out this calzone recipe. I adapted the dough to be made with whole spelt flour, or you can use whole wheat. This is very adaptable, so choose your favourite toppings and sauces.
Whole Grain Calzones and Pizzas- Veggie
makes 6 individual pizzas or calzones
2 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
1 tsp dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
Choose some or all of the veggies below, and feel free to add your favourites or try something new!
1 zucchini, sliced into 1” half-moons
1 eggplant, sliced into 1: long strips and then diced into cubes.
1 handful mushrooms, sliced
1 head kale, stem removed and torn into pieces
cherry tomatoes, whole
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp oregano,dried
sea salt to taste
Sauce: Pesto, tomato sauce or even just plain (as the filling is flavourful)
about 1/2 cup grated or crumbled cheese- goat’s feta,cheddar, mozza etc
Dough: (let rise for 1 hour)
- Mix yeast with 1/4 cup of the water, add 1 tsp of the flour and wait for it to start foaming.
- In a bowl, mix flour and salt. Make a well in the center and put water and oil.
- Mix to combine and knead slightly for 2 minutes.
- Allow dough to rest.
- Soak diced eggplant in salted water while you chop the other veggies (if using eggplant)
- Squeeze out the water and place the eggplant and other veggies in a roasting tray
- Add olive oil and oregano and a sprinkle of salt
- Roast at 350F for 30 min
- Punch down dough and divide into 6 equal balls. Roll into ovals and fill with filling, adding 1 tsp pesto and optional cheese, pinching the edges to close
- Place on floured parchment and bake at 350F for about 20 minutes,until they are browned on the bottom
- Calzones pack well in lunches and many people like them cold. To reheat them, just heat gently in oven or toaster oven.